Weekly Reflection 2 5/23

While this week I officially declared my major at Union to be economics, my passion for English has always been, and will continue to be a massive part of me. The objective of this project was to experience what being an English teacher is like. As expected, there are elements which I love and others that have proven to be a challenge. First off, I love the creative aspect of formulating something new, with a precise attention to detail. Each assignment, note, discussion which I have created thus far has been done with intention as I constantly imagine a classroom setting where my class is actually taking place. I want the students to feel a way to process the collective experience of the COVID pandemic, and through that process reveals themes that can be carried forward with truths about humanity. That component of exposing themes is what has always drawn me to English, as I know that it is deeply applicable to understanding life itself. I myself have been able to take time to reflect on my own pandemic experience, as reading the experiences of others has reminded me of my own emotions throughout the faces of isolation, loss, hope, and connection. There is so much to discuss, learn, and process about pandemic experiences, which has made designing this course deeply rewarding and powerful.

However, this week has also been eye opening to the many challenges an English teacher may face, even aside from the student-teacher experience. There has been so much material to go through that it can be overwhelming. It is very hard to tell without having read or listening to some whether or not it is of value to the class or not. This has been the biggest challenge as it is my job to first find and go through thoroughly with each bit of material to decide if I want to incorporate it, and should I choose to do so, I must figure out how to create the assignment to include it. This challenge is a good one to have, as it has given me a chance to take time to read and listen to excellent content, from Station Eleven, And We Came Outside the Stars Again,and Pandemic Spring, while also proving to be difficult as there is just so much. I know I have created a large task by trying to build a full course curriculum, but the process nonetheless has been worth it, even if just for the thought induced and the material I’ll get to enjoy. 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2 5/11/21

Weekly Reflection 1 5/16/21

Day 1- 5/10/21